Failure to build librseq on ppc

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Jul 9 10:10:03 AEST 2020

Hi!

On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 10:00:01AM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> >> So perhaps you have code like
> >>
> >>  int *p;
> >>  int x;
> >>  asm ("lwz %0,%1" : "=r"(x) : "m"(*p));
> >
> > We indeed have explicit "lwz" and "stw" instructions in there.
> >

> >> where that last line should actually read
> >>
> >>  asm ("lwz%X1 %0,%1" : "=r"(x) : "m"(*p));
> >
> > Indeed, turning those into "lwzx" and "stwx" seems to fix the issue.
> >
> > There has been some level of extra CPP macro coating around those instructions
> > support both ppc32 and ppc64 with the same assembly. So adding %X[arg] is not
> > trivial.
> > Let me see what can be done here.
>
> I did the following changes which appear to generate valid asm.
> See attached corresponding .S output.
>
> I grepped for uses of "m" asm operand in Linux powerpc code and noticed it's pretty much
> always used with e.g. "lwz%U1%X1". I could find one blog post discussing that %U is about
> update flag, and nothing about %X. Are those documented ?

Historically, no machine-specific output modifiers were documented.
For GCC 10 i added a few (in
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-10.1.0/gcc/Machine-Constraints.html#Machine-Constraints
), but not all (that user code should use!) yet.

> Although it appears to generate valid asm, I have the feeling I'm relying on undocumented
> features here. :-/

It is supported for 30 years or so now.  GCC itself uses this a *lot*
internally as well.  It works, and it will work forever.

> -#define STORE_WORD     "std "
> -#define LOAD_WORD      "ld "
> -#define LOADX_WORD     "ldx "
> +#define STORE_WORD(arg)        "std%U[" __rseq_str(arg) "]%X[" __rseq_str(arg) "] "    /* To memory ("m" constraint) */
> +#define LOAD_WORD(arg) "lwd%U[" __rseq_str(arg) "]%X[" __rseq_str(arg) "] "    /* From memory ("m" constraint) */

That cannot work (you typoed "ld" here).

Some more advice about this code, pretty generic stuff:

The way this all uses r17 will likely not work reliably.

The way multiple asm statements are used seems to have missing
dependencies between the statements.

Don't try to work *against* the compiler.  You will not win.

Alternatively, write assembler code, if that is what you actually want
to do?  Not C code.

And done macro-mess this, you want to be able to debug it, and you need
other people to be able to read it!

Segher