objtool clac/stac handling change..

Christophe Leroy christophe.leroy at csgroup.eu
Fri Jul 3 15:27:32 AEST 2020

Le 03/07/2020 à 05:17, Michael Ellerman a écrit :
> Christophe Leroy <christophe.leroy at csgroup.eu> writes:

>>> Yeah that's my understanding too.
>>>
>>> Christophe is the expert on that code so I'll defer to him if I'm wrong.

>>> I think we can do something to make it work.
>>>
>>> We don't have an equivalent of x86's ex_handler_uaccess(), so it's not
>>> quite as easy as whacking a user_access_end() in there.
>>
>> Isn't it something easy to do in bad_page_fault() ?
>
> We'd need to do it there at least.
>
> But I'm not convinced that's the only place we'd need to do it. We could
> theoretically take a machine check on a user access, and those are
> handled differently on each sub-(sub-sub)-platform, and I think all or
> most of them don't call bad_page_fault().

Indeed, it needs to be done everywhere we do

	regs->nip = extable_fixup(entry)

There are half a dozen of places that do that, in additional of
bad_page_fault() that's mainly machine checks, also kprobe.

I think we can create a fixup_exception() function which takes regs and
entry as parameters and does the nip fixup and kuap closuse.

>> Not exactly a call to user_access_end() but altering regs->kuap so that
>> user access is not restored on exception exit.
>
> Yes.
>
>>> Probably the simplest option for us is to just handle it in our
>>> unsafe_op_wrap(). I'll try and come up with something tomorrow.
>>
>> unsafe_op_wrap() is not used anymore for unsafe_put_user() as we are now
>> using asm goto.
>
> Sure, but we could change it back to use unsafe_op_wrap().

But the whole purpose of using goto in unsafe_???_user() is to allow the
use of asm goto. See explanations in commit
https://github.com/linuxppc/linux/commit/1bd4403d86a1c06cb6cc9ac87664a0c9d3413d51#diff-eba084de047bb8a9087dac10c06f44bc

> I did a quick hack to do that and see no difference in the generated
> code, but your commit adding put_user_goto() did show better code
> generation, so possibly it depends on compiler version, or my example
> wasn't complicated enough (filldir()).

Yes as explained above it should remove the error checking in the caller
so your exemple was most likely too trivial.

Christophe