powerpc Linux scv support and scv system call ABI proposal

Nicholas Piggin npiggin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 15:58:44 AEDT 2020

Adhemerval Zanella's on January 29, 2020 3:26 am:

> [...]
>> .LFB0:
>>         .cfi_startproc
>>         mflr 0
>>         std 0,16(1)
>>         .cfi_offset 65, 16
>>         mr 0,9
>> #APP
>>  # 12 "a.c" 1
>>         # scv
>>  # 0 "" 2
>> #NO_APP
>>         ld 0,16(1)
>>         mtlr 0
>>         .cfi_restore 65
>>         blr
>>         .long 0
>>         .byte 0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0
>>         .cfi_endproc
>>
>> That gets the LR save/restore right when we're also using r0.

>>> This sounds reasonable, but I don't know what kind of knock-on effects
>>> this has.  The inline system call wrappers can handle this with minor
>>> tweaks.
>>
>> Okay, good. In the end we would have to check code trace through the
>> kernel and libc of course, but I think there's little to no opportunity
>> to take advantage of current extra non-volatile cr regs.
>>
>> mtcr has to write 8 independently renamed registers so it's cracked into
>> 2 insns on POWER9 (and likely to always be a bit troublesome). It's not
>> much in the scheme of a system call, but while we can tweak the ABI...
>
> We don't really need a mfcr/mfocr to implement the Linux syscall ABI on
> powerpc, we can use a 'bns+' plus a neg instead as:
>
> --
> #define internal_syscall6(name, err, nr, arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4, arg5,  \
>                           arg6)                                         \
>   ({                                                                    \
>     register long int r0  __asm__ ("r0") = (long int) (name);           \
>     register long int r3  __asm__ ("r3") = (long int) (arg1);           \
>     register long int r4  __asm__ ("r4") = (long int) (arg2);           \
>     register long int r5  __asm__ ("r5") = (long int) (arg3);           \
>     register long int r6  __asm__ ("r6") = (long int) (arg4);           \
>     register long int r7  __asm__ ("r7") = (long int) (arg5);           \
>     register long int r8  __asm__ ("r8") = (long int) (arg6);           \
>     __asm__ __volatile__                                                \
>       ("sc\n\t"                                                         \
>        "bns+ 1f\n\t"                                                    \
>        "neg %1, %1\n\t"                                                 \
>        "1:\n\t"                                                         \
>        : "+r" (r0), "+r" (r3), "+r" (r4), "+r" (r5), "+r" (r6),         \
>          "+r" (r7), "+r" (r8)                                           \
>        :                                                                \
>        : "r9", "r10", "r11", "r12",                                     \
>          "cr0", "memory");                                              \
>     r3;                                                                 \

True, but the taken branch would be a 1 cycle bubble in fetch. Could
avoid that by branching out of line then back for the error case. But
mfocrf is fine (only sources one register), that's what should be used
here I think.

That probably makes the performance argument for avoiding CR[SO] for
error return indication less significant. Commonality with other
architectures is probably the bigger reason for it.

> [...]
> required change ia64, mips, nios2, and sparc though.

>>> GCC does not model the condition registers, so for inline system calls,
>>> we have to produce a value anyway that the subsequence C code can check.
>>> The assembler syscall wrappers do not need to do this, of course, but
>>> I'm not sure which category of interfaces is more important.
>>
>> Right. asm goto can improve this kind of pattern if it's inlined
>> into the C code which tests the result, it can branch using the flags
>> to the C error handling label, rather than move flags into GPR, test
>> GPR, branch. However...
>>
>>> But the kernel uses the -errno convention internally, so I think it
>>> would make sense to pass this to userspace and not convert back and
>>> forth.  This would align with what most of the architectures do, and
>>> also avoids the GCC oddity.
>>
>> Yes I would be interested in opinions for this option. It seems like
>> matching other architectures is a good idea. Maybe there are some
>> reasons not to.

>>> We don't have an ELFv2 ABI for 32-bit.  I doubt it makes sense to
>>> provide an ELFv1 port for this given that it's POWER9-specific.
>>
>> Okay. There's no reason not to enable this for BE, at least for the
>> kernel it's no additional work so it probably remains enabled (unless
>> there is something really good we could do with the ABI if we exclude
>> ELFv1 but I don't see anything).
>>
>> But if glibc only builds for ELFv2 support that's probably reasonable.
>>

>>> From the glibc perspective, the major question is how we handle run-time
>>> selection of the system call instruction sequence.  On i386, we use a
>>> function pointer in the TCB to call an instruction sequence in the vDSO.
>>> That's problematic from a security perspective.  I expect that on
>>> POWER9, using a pointer in read-only memory would be equally
>>> non-attractive due to a similar lack of PC-relative addressing.  We
>>> could use the HWCAP bit in the TCB, but that would add another (easy to
>>> predict) conditional branch to every system call.
>>
>> I would have to defer to glibc devs on this. Conditional branch
>> should be acceptable I think, scv improves speed as much as several
>> mispredicted branches (about 90 cycles).
>>
>>> I don't think it matters whether both system call variants use the same
>>> error convention because we could have different error code extraction
>>> code on the two branches.
>>
>> That's one less difficulty.
>
> We already had to push a similar hack where glibc used to abort transactions
> prior syscalls to avoid some side-effects on kernel (commit 56cf2763819d2f).
> It was eventually removed from syscall handling by f0458cf4f9ff3d870, where
> we only enable TLE if kernel suppors PPC_FEATURE2_HTM_NOSC.
>
> The transaction syscall abort used to read a variable directly from TCB,
> so this could be an option. I would expect that we could optimize it where
> if glibc is building against a recent kernel and compiler is building
> for a ISA 3.0+ cpu we could remove the 'sc' code.

We would just have to be careful of running on ISA 3.0 CPUs on older
kernels which do not support scv.

I don't think this is such a big deal, yes we'll have a switch for a
time and it will be slightly slower, but we can eventually remove it.

Thanks,
Nick