linux-next: build warning after merge of the bpf-next tree

Alexandre Ghiti alexandre at ghiti.fr
Thu Jan 16 07:48:18 AEDT 2020

On 1/14/20 6:23 AM, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 8:33 PM Zong Li<zong.li at sifive.com>  wrote:
>> I'm not quite familiar with btf, so I have no idea why there are two
>> weak symbols be added in 8580ac9404f6 ("bpf: Process in-kernel BTF")
> I can explain what these weak symbols are for, but that won't change
> the fact that compiler or linker are buggy. The weak symbols should work
> in all cases and compiler should pick correct relocation.
> In this case it sounds that compiler picked relative relocation and failed
> to reach zero from that address.

Sorry for the response delay: I now agree that there is nothing weird
about those
relocations. All compiler/linker I took a look at (arm64, ppc64 and
riscv64) correctly
emit an absolute relocation to the address 0 in case of a weak
unresolved symbol,
so there's no buggy compiler/linker.

And regarding ppc warning, the kernel being compiled as -pie, the
scripts looks
for absolute relocations which it considers as "bad", except for one
that is known
to be weak and that is ignored: I have just sent a patch to fix this
script so that weak
undefined symbol relocations are not considered as bad.

Thanks,

Alex