linux-next: build warning after merge of the bpf-next tree

Alexandre Ghiti alexandre at ghiti.fr
Sun Jan 12 01:31:48 AEDT 2020

On 1/10/20 7:20 PM, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 14:28:17 PST (-0800), alexandre at ghiti.fr wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> On 10/27/19 8:02 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>> Hi all,

>>> This warning now appears in the net-next tree build.
>>>

>> I bump that thread up because Zong also noticed that 2 new
>> relocations for
>> those symbols appeared in my riscv relocatable kernel branch following
>> that commit.
>>
>> I also noticed 2 new relocations R_AARCH64_ABS64 appearing in arm64
>> kernel.
>>
>> Those 2 weak undefined symbols have existed since commit
>> 341dfcf8d78e ("btf: expose BTF info through sysfs") but this is the fact
>> to declare those symbols into btf.c that produced those relocations.
>>
>> I'm not sure what this all means, but this is not something I expected
>> for riscv for
>> a kernel linked with -shared/-fpie. Maybe should we just leave them to
>> zero ?
>>
>> I think that deserves a deeper look if someone understands all this
>> better than I do.
>
> Can you give me a pointer to your tree and how to build a relocatable
> kernel?
> Weak undefined symbols have the absolute value 0,

So according to you the 2 new relocations R_RISCV_64 are normal and
should not
be modified at runtime right ?

> but the kernel is linked at
> an address such that 0 can't be reached by normal means.  When I added
> support
> to binutils for this I did it in a way that required almost no code --
> essetially I just stopped dissallowing x0 as a possible base register
> for PCREL
> relocations, which results in 0 always being accessible.  I just
> wanted to get
> the kernel to build again, so I didn't worry about chasing around all the
> addressing modes.  The PIC/PIE support generates different relocations
> and I
> wouldn't be surprised if I just missed one (or more likely all) of them.
>
> It's probably a simple fix, though I feel like every time I say that
> about the
> linker I end up spending a month in there...

You can find it here:

https://github.com/AlexGhiti/riscv-linux/tree/int/alex/riscv_relocatable_v1

Zong fixed the bug introduced by those 2 new relocations and everything
works
like a charm, so I'm not sure you have to dig in the linker :)

Alex