[RFT 00/13] iomap: Constify ioreadX() iomem argument

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Wed Jan 8 19:07:54 AEDT 2020

Hi Krzysztof,

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 5:53 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk at kernel.org> wrote:
> The ioread8/16/32() and others have inconsistent interface among the
> architectures: some taking address as const, some not.
>
> It seems there is nothing really stopping all of them to take
> pointer to const.

Shouldn't all of them take const volatile __iomem pointers?
It seems the "volatile" is missing from all but the implementations in
include/asm-generic/io.h.

> Patchset was really tested on all affected architectures.
> Build testing is in progress - I hope auto-builders will point any issues.
>

> Todo
> ====
> Convert also string versions (ioread16_rep() etc) if this aproach looks OK.
>

> Merging
> =======
> The first 5 patches - iomap, alpha, sh, parisc and powerpc - should probably go
> via one tree, or even squashed into one.

Yes, they should be squashed, cfr. Arnd's comment.
I also wouldn't bother doing the updates in patches 6-10.

The rest looks good to me.
Thanks a lot!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert