Patch for '5.3.7 64-bits kernel doesn't boot on G5 Quad' found (was: Re: PPC64: G5 & 4k/64k page size)

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Wed Jan 8 05:34:22 AEDT 2020

Hello all,

Great news: Aneesh sent me a patch that solves the problem on my G5 Quad :-)

I don't know whether he considers it a 'workaround' or if it's the
'proper' patch for upstream, so beware. It's a one-liner so I attach
it to this message: those affected can test it as well to confirm if
that indeed solves the problem for them as well.

If it is the 'proper' patch, I expect it should get into upstream
pretty quickly. Then Debian should be able to trivially backport it to
their PPC64 kernel, and the G5 will still be a great machine in 2020!

Thanks everyone for your help in tracking down the bug & to Aneesh for
finding a fix :-)

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau