PPC64: G5 & 4k/64k page size (was: Re: Call for report - G5/PPC970 status)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 7 05:54:37 AEDT 2020

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 07:18:30PM +0100, Romain Dolbeau wrote:
> Applied, recompiled with 64 KiB pages, still crashes.
>
> The backtrace seems more readable this time (and wasn't overwritten by
> something else), bad photo here:
> <http://www.dolbeau.name/dolbeau/files/Photo0033.jpg>

Is it possible this has to do with nouveau and not supporting 64K page
size on older nvidia chips?  My reading of the driver is that only
NV50 and above has implemented support for anything other than 4K pages,
so a geforce 6xxx series that I believe some of the G5 machines had would
be a problem with 64K pages, while those with ATI cards would probably
not have a problem.

Maybe I read the driver changes wrong, but it sure looks like only
NV50/G84 and up got the needed fixes a couple of years ago.

--
Len Sorensen