[5.6.0-rc2-next-20200218/powerpc] Boot failure on POWER9

Michal Hocko mhocko at kernel.org
Thu Feb 27 05:41:52 AEDT 2020

On Wed 26-02-20 18:25:28, Cristopher Lameter wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2020, Michal Hocko wrote:
>
> > Hmm, nasty. Is there any reason why kmalloc_node behaves differently
> > from the page allocator?
>
> The page allocator will do the same thing if you pass GFP_THISNODE and
> insist on allocating memory from a node that does not exist.

I do not think that the page allocator would blow up even with
GFP_THISNODE. The allocation would just fail on memory less node.

Besides that kmalloc_node shouldn't really have an implicit GFP_THISNODE
semantic right? At least I do not see anything like that documented
anywhere.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs