Surprising code generated for vdso_read_begin()

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Feb 20 00:08:08 AEDT 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 10:52:16AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 9:45 AM Christophe Leroy
> <christophe.leroy at c-s.fr> wrote:
> > Le 16/02/2020 à 19:10, Arnd Bergmann a écrit :

> > > To follow up on this older thread, I have now uploaded 6.5, 7.5, 8.3 and 9.2
> > > binaries, as well as a recent 10.0 snapshot.
> > >

> > Thanks Arnd,
> >
> > I have built the VDSO with 9.2, I get less performant result than with
> > 8.2 (same performance as with 5.5).
> >
> > After a quick look, I see:
> > - Irrelevant NOPs to align loops and stuff, allthough -mpcu=860 should
> > avoid that.
> > - A stack frame is set for saving r31 in __c_kernel_clock_gettime. GCC
> > 8.1 don't need that, all VDSO functions are frameless with 8.1
>
> If you think it should be fixed in gcc, maybe try to reproduce it in
> https://godbolt.org/

(Feel free to skip this step; and don't put links to godbolt (or anything
else external) in our bugzilla, please; such links go stale before you
know it.)

> and open a gcc bug against that.

Yes please :-)

> Also, please try the gcc-10 snapshot, which has the highest chance
> of getting fixes if it shows the same issue (or worse).

If it is a regression, chances are it will be backported.  (But not to
9.3, which is due in just a few weeks, just like 8.4).  If it is just a
side effect of some other change, it will probably *not* be undone, not
on trunk (GCC 10) either.  It depends.

But sure, always test trunk if you can.

Segher