[5.6.0-rc2-next-20200218/powerpc] Boot failure on POWER9

Kirill Tkhai ktkhai at virtuozzo.com
Tue Feb 18 22:53:09 AEDT 2020

On 18.02.2020 14:38, Sachin Sant wrote:

>> On 18-Feb-2020, at 4:20 PM, Kirill Tkhai <ktkhai at virtuozzo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Sachin,
>>
>> On 18.02.2020 13:45, Sachin Sant wrote:
>>>
>>> commit a75056fc1e7c
>>> mm/memcontrol.c: allocate shrinker_map on appropriate NUMA node
>>>
>>> I can boot the kernel successfully if the patch is reverted.
>>

>> could you please test your boot with original patch from here:
>>
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11360007/
>>
>> ?
> With this original patch I can boot the machine successfully.

Ok, thanks.

I think, there is no a problem in the commited patch, since mem_cgroup_css_alloc()
is called from the place, where any memory allocations have to be allowed. This
is one of the reason, memory_cgrp_subsys.early_init is 0, and all nodes allocations
should be availeble there.

The problem is not in vmalloc() itself, since the second patch with kmalloc_node()
also fails on your setup. Maybe, the reproduction depends on amount of allocated
memory. For me this looks like a problem in powerpc, but it would be interesting
to hear some comments from powerpc guys.

For now we may replace the commited patch with v2 (https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11360007/)
containing workaround, which we have in another alloc_mem_cgroup_per_node_info() allocations.

Kirill