[RFC please help] membarrier: Rewrite sync_core_before_usermode()

Mathieu Desnoyers mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com
Tue Dec 29 08:26:42 AEDT 2020

----- On Dec 28, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Andy Lutomirski luto at kernel.org wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:32 PM Mathieu Desnoyers
> <mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com> wrote:
>>
>> ----- On Dec 28, 2020, at 2:44 PM, Andy Lutomirski luto at kernel.org wrote:

>> ^ exactly, yes.

>> This was the original thinking, yes. The cacheflush IPI will flush specific
>> regions of code, and the membarrier IPI issues context synchronizing
>> instructions.
>>
>> Architectures with coherent i/d caches don't need the cacheflush step.
>
> There are different levels of coherency -- VIVT architectures may have
> differing requirements compared to PIPT, etc.
>
> In any case, I feel like the approach taken by the documentation is
> fundamentally confusing.  Architectures don't all speak the same
> language

Agreed.

> How about something like:

I dislike the wording "barrier" and the association between "write" and
"instruction fetch" done in the descriptions below. It leads to think that
this behaves like a memory barrier, when in fact my understanding of
a context synchronizing instruction is that it simply flushes internal
CPU state, which would cause coherency issues if the CPU observes both the
old and then the new code without having this state flushed.

[ Sorry if I take more time to reply and if my replies are a bit more
  concise than usual. I'm currently on parental leave, so I have
  non-maskable interrupts to attend to. ;-) ]

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers