[RFC please help] membarrier: Rewrite sync_core_before_usermode()

Russell King - ARM Linux admin linux at armlinux.org.uk
Tue Dec 29 07:24:51 AEDT 2020

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 11:44:33AM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 11:09 AM Russell King - ARM Linux admin
> <linux at armlinux.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 07:29:34PM +0100, Jann Horn wrote:
> > > After chatting with rmk about this (but without claiming that any of
> > > this is his opinion), based on the manpage, I think membarrier()
> > > currently doesn't really claim to be synchronizing caches? It just
> > > serializes cores. So arguably if userspace wants to use membarrier()
> > > to synchronize code changes, userspace should first do the code
> > > change, then flush icache as appropriate for the architecture, and
> > > then do the membarrier() to ensure that the old code is unused?
> > >
> > > For 32-bit arm, rmk pointed out that that would be the cacheflush()
> > > syscall. That might cause you to end up with two IPIs instead of one
> > > in total, but we probably don't care _that_ much about extra IPIs on
> > > 32-bit arm?
> > >
> > > For arm64, I believe userspace can flush icache across the entire
> > > system with some instructions from userspace - "DC CVAU" followed by
> > > "DSB ISH", or something like that, I think? (See e.g.
> > > compat_arm_syscall(), the arm64 compat code that implements the 32-bit
> > > arm cacheflush() syscall.)
> >
> > Note that the ARM cacheflush syscall calls flush_icache_user_range()
> > over the range of addresses that userspace has passed - it's intention
> > since day one is to support cases where userspace wants to change
> > executable code.
> >
> > It will issue the appropriate write-backs to the data cache (DCCMVAU),
> > the invalidates to the instruction cache (ICIMVAU), invalidate the
> > branch target buffer (BPIALLIS or BPIALL as appropriate), and issue
> > the appropriate barriers (DSB ISHST, ISB).
> >
> > Note that neither flush_icache_user_range() nor flush_icache_range()
> > result in IPIs; cache operations are broadcast across all CPUs (which
> > is one of the minimums we require for SMP systems.)
> >
> > Now, that all said, I think the question that has to be asked is...
> >
> >         What is the basic purpose of membarrier?
> >
> > Is the purpose of it to provide memory barriers, or is it to provide
> > memory coherence?
> >
> > If it's the former and not the latter, then cache flushes are out of
> > scope, and expecting memory written to be visible to the instruction
> > stream is totally out of scope of the membarrier interface, whether
> > or not the writes happen on the same or a different CPU to the one
> > executing the rewritten code.
> >
> > The documentation in the kernel does not seem to describe what it's
> > supposed to be doing - the only thing I could find is this:
> > Documentation/features/sched/membarrier-sync-core/arch-support.txt
> > which describes it as "arch supports core serializing membarrier"
> > whatever that means.
> >
> > Seems to be the standard and usual case of utterly poor to non-existent
> > documentation within the kernel tree, or even a pointer to where any
> > useful documentation can be found.
> >
> > Reading the membarrier(2) man page, I find nothing in there that talks
> [...]

       MEMBARRIER_CMD_PRIVATE_EXPEDITED_SYNC_CORE (since Linux 4.16)
              In  addition  to  providing  the  memory ordering guarantees de■
              scribed in MEMBARRIER_CMD_PRIVATE_EXPEDITED,  upon  return  from
              system call the calling thread has a guarantee that all its run■
              ning thread siblings have executed a core  serializing  instruc■
              tion.   This  guarantee is provided only for threads in the same
              process as the calling thread.

              The "expedited" commands complete faster than the  non-expedited
              ones,  they  never block, but have the downside of causing extra
              overhead.

              A process must register its intent to use the private  expedited
              sync core command prior to using it.

This just says that the siblings have executed a serialising
instruction, in other words a barrier. It makes no claims concerning
cache coherency - and without some form of cache maintenance, there
can be no expectation that the I and D streams to be coherent with
each other.

This description is also weird in another respect. "guarantee that
all its running thread siblings have executed a core serializing
instruction" ... "The expedited commands ... never block".

So, the core executing this call is not allowed to block, but the
other part indicates that the other CPUs _have_ executed a serialising
instruction before this call returns... one wonders how that happens
without blocking. Maybe the CPU spins waiting for completion instead?

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!