[RFC please help] membarrier: Rewrite sync_core_before_usermode()

Russell King - ARM Linux admin linux at armlinux.org.uk
Tue Dec 29 04:23:01 AEDT 2020

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 09:14:23AM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 2:25 AM Russell King - ARM Linux admin
> <linux at armlinux.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 01:36:13PM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> > > Sigh, I missed arm (32).  Russell or ARM folks, what's the right
> > > incantation to make the CPU notice instruction changes initiated by
> > > other cores on 32-bit ARM?
> >
> > You need to call flush_icache_range(), since the changes need to be
> > flushed from the data cache to the point of unification (of the Harvard
> > I and D), and the instruction cache needs to be invalidated so it can
> > then see those updated instructions. This will also take care of the
> > necessary barriers that the CPU requires for you.
>
> With what parameters?   From looking at the header, this is for the
> case in which the kernel writes some memory and then intends to
> execute it.  That's not what membarrier() does at all.  membarrier()
> works like this:

You didn't specify that you weren't looking at kernel memory.

If you're talking about userspace, then the interface you require
is flush_icache_user_range(), which does the same as
flush_icache_range() but takes userspace addresses. Note that this
requires that the memory is currently mapped at those userspace
addresses.

If that doesn't fit your needs, there isn't an interface to do what
you require, and it basically means creating something brand new
on every architecture.

What you are asking for is not "just a matter of a few instructions".
I have stated the required steps to achieve what you require above;
that is the minimum when you have non-snooping harvard caches, which
the majority of 32-bit ARMs have.

> User thread 1:
>
> write to RWX memory *or* write to an RW alias of an X region.
> membarrier(...);
> somehow tell thread 2 that we're ready (with a store release, perhaps,
> or even just a relaxed store.)
>
> User thread 2:
>
> wait for the indication from thread 1.
> barrier();
> jump to the code.
>
> membarrier() is, for better or for worse, not given a range of addresses.

Then, I'm sorry, it can't work on 32-bit ARM.

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!