CONFIG_PPC_VAS depends on 64k pages...?

Carlos Eduardo de Paula me at carlosedp.com
Wed Dec 2 08:05:29 AEDT 2020

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 2:54 AM Sukadev Bhattiprolu <sukadev at linux.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Christophe Leroy [christophe.leroy at csgroup.eu] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Le 19/11/2020 à 11:58, Will Springer a écrit :
> > > I learned about the POWER9 gzip accelerator a few months ago when the
> > > support hit upstream Linux 5.8. However, for some reason the Kconfig
> > > dictates that VAS depends on a 64k page size, which is problematic as I
> > > run Void Linux, which uses a 4k-page kernel.
> > >
> > > Some early poking by others indicated there wasn't an obvious page size
> > > dependency in the code, and suggested I try modifying the config to
> switch
> > > it on. I did so, but was stopped by a minor complaint of an
> "unexpected DT
> > > configuration" by the VAS code. I wasn't equipped to figure out
> exactly what
> > > this meant, even after finding the offending condition, so after
> writing a
> > > very drawn-out forum post asking for help, I dropped the subject.
> > >
> > > Fast forward to today, when I was reminded of the whole thing again,
> and
> > > decided to debug a bit further. Apparently the VAS platform device
> > > (derived from the DT node) has 5 resources on my 4k kernel, instead of
> 4
> > > (which evidently works for others who have had success on 64k
> kernels). I
> > > have no idea what this means in practice (I don't know how to
> introspect
> > > it), but after making a tiny patch[1], everything came up smoothly and
> > > was doing blazing-fast gzip (de)compression in no time.
> > >
> > > Everything seems to work fine on 4k pages. So, what's up? Are there
> > > pitfalls lurking around that I've yet to stumble over? More reasonably,
> > > I'm curious as to why the feature supposedly depends on 64k pages, or
> if
> > > there's anything else I should be concerned about.
>
> Will,
>
> The reason I put in that config check is because we were only able to
> test 64K pages at that point.
>
> It is interesting that it is working for you. Following code in skiboot
> https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/blob/master/hw/vas.c should restrict
> it to 64K pages. IIRC there is also a corresponding change in some NX
> registers that should also be configured to allow 4K pages.
>

>         static int init_north_ctl(struct proc_chip *chip)
>         {
>                 uint64_t val = 0ULL;
>
>                 val = SETFIELD(VAS_64K_MODE_MASK, val, true);
>                 val = SETFIELD(VAS_ACCEPT_PASTE_MASK, val, true);
>                 val = SETFIELD(VAS_ENABLE_WC_MMIO_BAR, val, true);
>                 val = SETFIELD(VAS_ENABLE_UWC_MMIO_BAR, val, true);
>                 val = SETFIELD(VAS_ENABLE_RMA_MMIO_BAR, val, true);
>
>                 return vas_scom_write(chip, VAS_MISC_N_CTL, val);
>         }
>
> I am copying Bulent Albali and Haren Myneni who have been working with
> VAS/NX for their thoughts/experience.
>

> > Maybe ask Sukadev who did the implementation and is maintaining it ?

> [...]

Hi all, I'd like to report that with Will's patch, I'm using NX-Gzip
perfectly on Linux 5.9.10 built with 4K pages and no changes on firmware in
a Raptor Computing Blackbird workstation.

I'm using Debian 10 distro.

Ref. https://twitter.com/carlosedp/status/1328424799216021511

Carlos

Carlos Eduardo de Paula