fsl_espi errors on v5.7.15

Heiner Kallweit hkallweit1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 22:33:16 AEST 2020

On 30.08.2020 23:59, Chris Packham wrote:

> On 31/08/20 9:41 am, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> My working theory is that the SPI_DON indication is all about the TX
>>> direction an now that the interrupts are faster we're hitting an error
>>> because there is still RX activity going on. Heiner disagrees with my
>>> interpretation of the SPI_DON indication and the fact that it doesn't
>>> happen every time does throw doubt on it.
>>>
>> It's right that the eSPI spec can be interpreted that SPI_DON refers to
>> TX only. However this wouldn't really make sense, because also for RX
>> we program the frame length, and therefore want to be notified once the
>> full frame was received. Also practical experience shows that SPI_DON
>> is set also after RX-only transfers.
>> Typical SPI NOR use case is that you write read command + start address,
>> followed by a longer read. If the TX-only interpretation would be right,
>> we'd always end up with SPI_DON not being set.
>>
>>> I can't really explain the extra RX byte in the fifo. We know how many
>>> bytes to expect and we pull that many from the fifo so it's not as if
>>> we're missing an interrupt causing us to skip the last byte. I've been
>>> looking for some kind of off-by-one calculation but again if it were
>>> something like that it'd happen all the time.
>>>
>> Maybe it helps to know what value this extra byte in the FIFO has. Is it:
>> - a duplicate of the last read byte
>> - or the next byte (at <end address> + 1)
>> - or a fixed value, e.g. always 0x00 or 0xff
>
> The values were up thread a bit but I'll repeat them here
>
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: tx 70
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: rx 03
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: Extra RX 00
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: Transfer done but SPIE_DON isn't set!
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: Transfer done but rx/tx fifo's aren't empty!
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: SPIE_RXCNT = 1, SPIE_TXCNT = 32
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: tx 05
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: rx 00
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: Extra RX 03
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: Transfer done but SPIE_DON isn't set!
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: Transfer done but rx/tx fifo's aren't empty!
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: SPIE_RXCNT = 1, SPIE_TXCNT = 32
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: tx 05
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: rx 00
> fsl_espi ffe110000.spi: Extra RX 03
>

> The rx 00 Extra RX 03 is a bit concerning. I've only ever seen them with
> either a READ_SR or a READ_FSR. Never a data read.

Just remembered something about SPIE_DON:
Transfers are always full duplex, therefore in case of a read the chip
sends dummy zero's. Having said that in case of a read SPIE_DON means
that the last dummy zero was shifted out.

READ_SR and READ_FSR are the shortest transfers, 1 byte out and 1 byte in.
So the issue may have a dependency on the length of the transfer.
However I see no good explanation so far. You can try adding a delay of
a few miroseconds between the following to commands in fsl_espi_bufs().

	fsl_espi_write_reg(espi, ESPI_SPIM, mask);

	/* Prevent filling the fifo from getting interrupted */
	spin_lock_irq(&espi->lock);

Maybe enabling interrupts and seeing the SPIE_DON interrupt are too close.