How would I code a Write to a proc file from within the kernel without reading anything from user space?

thefirst ECS ecs_dn at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 07:52:58 AEST 2020

In order to help debug a certain discrepancy, I need to "simulate" an "echo 1 > /proc/file" but doing it from kernel even when root file system is unavailable.

I have simulated it just fine via call_usermodehelper (with argv etc of "echo 1 > /proc/file") from inside the kernel which triggers:
[ee897ec0] [c0122704] proc_reg_write+0x80/0xb4
[ee897ef0] [c00d3b7c] vfs_write+0xb4/0x184

just as I had wanted. But now I need to trigger the "vfs_write" and "proc_reg_write" but without using call_usermodehelper since I will be doing it when root "/" is unavailable and so I can no longer access /bin/echo and call the usermodehelper etc. So my question is how can I do that in kernel?

Not sure if I'm supposed to look in fs read_write.c and fs.h and write a method based on those or if there's some other way etc.

Thanks,
-Dan