[musl] Re: Powerpc Linux 'scv' system call ABI proposal take 2

Nicholas Piggin npiggin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:31:07 AEST 2020

Excerpts from Florian Weimer's message of April 22, 2020 5:15 pm:
> * Nicholas Piggin:
>
>> Another option would be to use a different signal. I don't see that any
>> are more suitable.
>
> SIGSYS comes to my mind.  But I don't know how exclusively it is
> associated with seccomp these days.

SIGSYS is entirely seccomp now. There looks like a single obscure MIPS
user of it in Linux that's not seccomp, but it would be entirely new for
powerpc (or any of the common platforms, arm, x86 etc).

So I would be disinclined to use SIGSYS unless there are no other better
signal types, and we don't want to use SIGILL for some good reason -- is
there a good reason to add complexity for userspace by differentiating
these two situations?

Thanks,
Nick