[musl] Powerpc Linux 'scv' system call ABI proposal take 2

Adhemerval Zanella adhemerval.zanella at linaro.org
Wed Apr 22 01:00:31 AEST 2020

On 21/04/2020 11:39, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:28:25PM +0000, David Laight wrote:

Indeed, the output with -r is:

0000000000000000 <__kill>:
   0:   b8 3e 00 00 00          mov    $0x3e,%eax
   5:   0f 05                   syscall
   7:   48 3d 01 f0 ff ff       cmp    $0xfffffffffffff001,%rax
   d:   0f 83 00 00 00 00       jae    13 <__kill+0x13>
                        f: R_X86_64_PLT32       __syscall_error-0x4
  13:   c3                      retq

And for x86_64 __syscall_error is defined as:

0000000000000000 <__syscall_error>:
   0:   48 f7 d8                neg    %rax

0000000000000003 <__syscall_error_1>:
   3:   64 89 04 25 00 00 00    mov    %eax,%fs:0x0
   a:   00
                        7: R_X86_64_TPOFF32     errno
   b:   48 83 c8 ff             or     $0xffffffffffffffff,%rax
   f:   c3                      retq

Different than musl, each architecture defines its own error handling
mechanism (some embedded errno setting in syscall itself, other branches
to a __syscall_error like function as x86_64).

This is due most likely from the glibc long history.  One of my long
term plan is to just simplify, get rid of the assembly pre-processor,
implement all syscall in C code, and set error handling mechanism in
a platform neutral way using a tail call (most likely you do on musl).

>> It is also a 32bit offset jump.
>> I also suspect it gets predicted very badly.
>
> I doubt that. This is a very standard idiom and the size of the offset
> (which is necessarily 32-bit because it has a relocation on it) is
> orthogonal to the condition on the jump.
>
> FWIW a syscall like kill takes global kernel-side locks to be able to
> address a target process by pid, and the rate of meaningful calls you
> can make to it is very low (since it's bounded by time for target
> process to act on the signal). Trying to optimize it for speed is
> pointless, and even size isn't important locally (although in
> aggregate, lots of wasted small size can add up to more pages = more
> TLB entries = ...).

I agree and I would prefer to focus on code simplicity to have a
platform neutral way to handle error and let the compiler optimize
it than messy with assembly macros to squeeze this kind of
micro-optimizations.