Boot flakiness with QEMU 3.1.0 and Clang built kernels

Nicholas Piggin npiggin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 10:29:45 AEST 2020

Nathan Chancellor's on April 11, 2020 6:59 am:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently, our CI started running into several hangs when running the
> spinlock torture tests during a boot with QEMU 3.1.0 on
> powernv_defconfig and pseries_defconfig when compiled with Clang.
>
> I initially bisected Linux and came down to commit 3282a3da25bd
> ("powerpc/64: Implement soft interrupt replay in C") [1], which seems to
> make sense. However, I realized I could not reproduce this in my local
> environment no matter how hard I tried, only in our Docker image. I then
> realized my environment's QEMU version was 4.2.0; I compiled 3.1.0 and
> was able to reproduce it then.
>
> I bisected QEMU down to two commits: powernv_defconfig was fixed by [2]
> and pseries_defconfig was fixed by [3].

Looks like it might have previously been testing power8, now power9?
-cpu power8 might get it reproducing again.

> I ran 100 boots with our boot-qemu.sh script [4] and QEMU 3.1.0 failed
> approximately 80% of the time but 4.2.0 and 5.0.0-rc1 only failed 1% of
> the time [5]. GCC 9.3.0 built kernels failed approximately 3% of time
> [6].

Do they fail in the same way? Was the fail rate at 0% before upgrading
kernels?

> Without access to real hardware, I cannot really say if there is a
> problem here. We are going to upgrade to QEMU 4.2.0 to fix it. This is
> more of an FYI so that there is some record of it outside of our issue
> tracker and so people can be aware of it in case it comes up somewhere
> else.

Thanks for this I'll try to reproduce. You're not running SMP guest?
Anything particular to run the lock torture test? This is just
powernv_defconfig + CONFIG_LOCK_TORTURE_TEST=y ?

Thanks,
Nick