Onboard SD card doesn't work anymore after the 'mmc-v5.4-2' updates

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Oct 23 17:41:24 AEDT 2019

On Wed, 2019-10-23 at 16:42 +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:

> Right, it seems of_dma_is_coherent() has baked in the assumption that
> devices are non-coherent unless explicitly marked as coherent.
>
> Which is wrong on all or at least most existing powerpc systems
> according to Ben.

This is probably broken on sparc(64) as well and whatever else uses
DT and is an intrinsicly coherent architecture (did we ever have
DT enabled x86s ? Wasn't OLPC such a beast ?).

I think this should have been done the other way around and default to
coherent since most traditional OF platforms are coherent, and you
can't just require those DTs to change.