Defunct Abatron / BDI2000?

Nathan nathana at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 11:40:05 AEDT 2019

I am profusely sorry for adding noise to this list with this semi-OT
post, but I'm becoming increasingly desperate, and I suspect the odds
of running into someone with one of these units here are pretty good.

If there is anyone here who has a BDI2K with the QorIQ P-series
(P3/4/5) target firmware, and wouldn't mind reaching out to me
(off-list is fine, and probably the most polite to everyone else), I
would really, really, really appreciate it.

I'm no embedded systems engineer, but I've got one of these JTAG pods
on loan as I managed to brick a commercial board based on P3041 SoC
and I'm trying to find a way to reflash non-corrupted code to the
on-board parallel NOR.  The board has a confirmed 16-pin COP header on
it, but of course the BDI unit I have access to has MPC85xx target
firmware installed on it.

>From what I can tell, not only is this a pretty old debugger model
anyway (and not the most recent one that its manufacturer produced),
but the company who manufactured it (Abatron) appears to have
shuttered their doors over a year ago...the web site is gone and
they've abandoned their domain name, so I have no way of reaching out
to any of the people involved in this product.

Short of making this unit talk to this board, from what I can tell my
only remaining options are to pay hundreds or thousands of $ for some
other JTAG interface that is still actively manufactured and supported
(which I can't justify doing in order to fix this *one* board *one*
time), or to find somebody who can desolder the flash chip so that I
can reflash it with an offline programmer (which I'd really prefer to
avoid).

Thanks so much,

-- Nathan