PROBLEM: Power9: kernel oops on memory hotunplug from ppc64le guest

Nicholas Piggin npiggin at gmail.com
Tue May 21 00:55:49 AEST 2019

Bharata B Rao's on May 21, 2019 12:29 am:
> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 01:50:35PM +0530, Bharata B Rao wrote:
>> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 05:00:21PM +1000, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
>> > Bharata B Rao's on May 20, 2019 3:56 pm:

>> > Can't reproduce I'm afraid, tried adding and removing 8GB memory from a
>> > 4GB guest (via host adding / removing memory device), and it just works.
>>
>> Boot, add 8G, reboot, remove 8G is the sequence to reproduce.
>>

>> > It's likely to be an edge case like an off by one or rounding error
>> > that just happens to trigger in your config. Might be easiest if you
>> > could test with a debug patch.
>>
>> Sure, I will continue debugging.
>
> When the guest is rebooted after hotplug, the entire memory (which includes
> the hotplugged memory) gets remapped again freshly. However at this time
> since no slab is available yet, pt_frag_refcount never gets initialized as we
> never do pte_fragment_alloc() for these mappings. So we right away hit the
> underflow during the first unplug itself, it looks like.

Nice catch, good debugging work.

> I will check how this can be fixed.

Tricky problem. What do you think? You might be able to make the early
page table allocations in the same pattern as the frag allocations, and
then fill in the struct page metadata when you have those.

Other option may be create a new set of page tables after mm comes up
to replace the early page tables with. That's a bigger hammer though.

Thanks,
Nick