PROBLEM: Power9: kernel oops on memory hotunplug from ppc64le guest

Nicholas Piggin npiggin at gmail.com
Mon May 20 17:00:21 AEST 2019

Bharata B Rao's on May 20, 2019 3:56 pm:

>> > Right, but the commit says it fixes page table page refcount underflow by
>> > introducing a new field &page->pt_frag_refcount. Now we are hitting the underflow
>> > for this pt_frag_refcount.
>>
>> The fixed underflow is caused by a bug (race on page count) that got
>> fixed by that patch. You are hitting a different underflow here. It's
>> not certain my patch caused it, I'm just trying to reproduce now.
>
> Ok.

Can't reproduce I'm afraid, tried adding and removing 8GB memory from a
4GB guest (via host adding / removing memory device), and it just works.

It's likely to be an edge case like an off by one or rounding error
that just happens to trigger in your config. Might be easiest if you
could test with a debug patch.

Thanks,
Nick