Regression in 5.1.0-rc2: PowerBook G4 Aluminum fails to boot - bisected to commit 0df977eafc792

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Tue Mar 26 02:54:25 AEDT 2019

On 3/25/19 1:53 AM, Christophe Leroy wrote:

> Le 25/03/2019 à 01:49, Larry Finger a écrit :
>> A build of kernel 5.1.0-rc2 resulted in a failure to boot on my PowerBook G4
>> Aluminum. The bootstrap loads the initial kernel and issues the appropriate
>> start, but the machine hangs at that point.
>
> Can you please be more explicit ? What do you mean by "issues the appropriate
> start" ? What is "that point" ? Any messages on the console ?

Sorry to be unclear. The bootstrap code prints a line saying "Booting Linux via
__start() @ 0x00c00000" and then hangs.

Your idea of confusion between physical and virtual address sounds right. I am
building a kernel with that patch applied now. As it seems to be going quickly,
I should have the answer fairly quickly.

Thanks,

Larry