powerpc/mm: Only define MAX_PHYSMEM_BITS in SPARSEMEM configurations

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Mon Mar 25 14:54:18 AEDT 2019

On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 01:03 +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Mär 24 2019, Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Presumably you have CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3S_64 enabled and
> > CONFIG_SPARSEMEM
> > disabled?  Was this configuration actually usable?
>
> Why not?

I assume that CONFIG_SPARSEMEM is the default for a good reason.
What I don't know is how strong that reason is (I am not a Power expert
at all).  Looking a bit further, it seems to be related to CONFIG_NUMA
in that you can enable CONFIG_FLATMEM if and only if that's disabled.
So I suppose the configuration you used works for non-NUMA systems.

Anyway, does the patch I sent work for you?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I'm not a reverse psychological virus.