[PULL REQUEST] powerpc generic command line

Christophe Leroy christophe.leroy at c-s.fr
Wed Mar 20 04:42:35 AEDT 2019

Hi Daniel,

Le 19/03/2019 à 16:38, Daniel Walker a écrit :
> [...]
>>
>> Firstly you sent it a bit late, about a day before the 5.0 release, and
>> at 6am Saturday my time :) In future if you want me to merge something
>> please send a pull at least the ~Wednesday before the release.
>
> Ok .. It was Friday morning my time.
>
>> Secondly I had no idea this code was even in linux-next. I'm not sure if
>> I was Cc'ed at some point when you added it, if so sorry I missed it,
>> but I get lots of email. If you're going to add changes to arch/powerpc
>> in your next tree I'd appreciate some notice, or preferably an explicit
>> ack.
>
> Can I have an ack now ? Since your looking at it. Do you think this has no use,
> certainly Cisco has use for it. It's still in linux-next as of now.
>
>> The main reason I didn't merge it is that it's adding a bunch of code
>> outside of arch/powerpc, into files which I'm not the maintainer for,
>> and the patches doing so have no acks or reviews from anyone.
>
> With the exception of the Kconfig the header file is brand new, so I'm not sure
> who would ack that. From a maintainer perspective I think you could add new
> files without issues from other maintainers.
>
>> It's also adding a generic implementation with no indication that any
>> other arches are willing/able to use the generic implementation, which
>> begs the question whether it will actually used.
>
> It would have been used by powerpc ;) I've gotten feedback in the past from
> Ralf Baechle who thought this was useful, however that was years ago when
> this was first submitted and the code around this area in mips has changed and
> it would require a fair amount of new work to function properly on mips.
>
> Also , no other platforms need to use this. Powerpc could be the only user of
> it. This isn't really a question of a new exciting implementation of
> something. This is really simple, it's just consolidation across architectures.
> The implementation is vanilla, non-exciting stuff.
>
>> I appreciate it's hard to get these sort of cross architecture changes
>> into mainline, but I don't think this is the way to do it.
>>
>> I'd suggest you post a patch series to linux-arch with the generic
>> changes and as many architecture conversions as you can manage, then get
>> some review/acks for the generic changes and chase arch maintainers for
>> some acks.
>
> I didn't post to linux-arch , but the code has been around for years, submitted
> multiple times with more architectures than powerpc. It was scaled down to just
> powerpc to simplify it's submission.
>
> It's really a simple set of changes, I don't think it needs as much thought as
> other cross architecture changes.
>
>> I realise you have posted the series before, it may require some
>> persistence. There were also quite a few comments from Christophe, so
>> replying to those would be a good place to start.
>
> I've looked at his comments, but I think he was more worried about conflicts with
> his debugging enablement, not something to stop a pull request.

Well, that's what I started with, but at the end my main worry has been
that you bring a non exciting set of complicated macros and code to
replace simple code, and you break something out of generic OF code to a
new brand new generic one, instead of updating the existing generic OF code.

I like the idea behind your series very much, but I don't like too much
the way it is proposed to be implemented. If you give me one week or
two, I will come with a lighter proposal that should achieve the same goal.

Christophe