serial driver cleanups v2

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult lkml at metux.net
Fri Mar 15 21:36:04 AEDT 2019

On 15.03.19 10:12, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

>> Part II will be about moving the mmio range from mapbase and
>> mapsize (which are used quite inconsistently) to a struct resource
>> and using helpers for that. But this one isn't finished yet.
>> (if somebody likes to have a look at it, I can send it, too)
>
> Let's do that way you are preparing a branch somewhere and anounce
> here as an RFC, since this was neither tested nor correct.

Okay, here it is:

I. https://github.com/metux/linux/tree/submit/serial-clean-v3
   --> general cleanups, as basis for II

II. https://github.com/metux/linux/tree/wip/serial-res
   --> moving towards using struct resource consistently

III. https://github.com/metux/linux/tree/hack/serial
    --> the final steps, which are yet completely broken
    (more a notepad for things still to do :o)

The actual goal is generalizing the whole iomem handling, so individual
usually just need to call some helpers that do most of the things.
Finally, I also wanted to have all io region information consolidated
in struct resource.

Meanwhile I've learned that I probably was a bit too eager w/ that.
Guess I'll have to rethink my strategy.

> And selling point for many of them is not true: it doesn't make any
> difference in the size in code, but increases a time to run
> (devm_ioremap_resource() does more than plain devm_iomap() call).

Okay, just seen it. Does the the runtime overhead cause any problems ?

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
info at metux.net -- +49-151-27565287