G5 Quad hangs early on 4.20.2 / 5.0-rc2+

Michael Ellerman mpe at ellerman.id.au
Wed Jan 16 17:56:39 AEDT 2019

Tobias Ulmer <tobiasu at tmux.org> writes:
> Hi,
>
> both the latest stable 4.20.2 and 5.0 rc2+ hang early on the G5 Quad.
>
> Surely I'm not the first to run into this, but I couldn't find any
> discussion or bug report. Sorry if you're already aware.

Actually you're probably the first to hit it :)

I have a quad but it never gets to openfirmware and I haven't had time
to look into why.

My iMac G5 and dual G5 are booting OK though.

> You can see it hang here (5.0 rc2+, 4.20.2 is nearly identical) until
> the watchdog triggers a reboot:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/UiCVRuG.jpg
>
> If I had to make an uneducated guess, it seems to boot into the same
> codepath twice (mpic was already initialized, then it starts again right
> after smp bringup). Maybe on a second CPU?

Can you compare to a working boot log, does that give us any clues?

Can you post your full .config for the non-working case.

cheers