READ_ONCE() + STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG == :/ (was Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull powerpc/linux.git powerpc-5.5-2 tag (topic/kasan-bitops))

Peter Zijlstra peterz at infradead.org
Mon Dec 16 22:47:24 AEDT 2019

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 10:28:06AM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
> However, enabling this for 32-bit ARM is total carnage; as Linus mentioned,
> a whole bunch of code appears to be relying on atomic 64-bit access of
> READ_ONCE(); the perf ring buffer, io_uring, the scheduler, pm_runtime,
> cpuidle, ... :(
>
> Unfortunately, at least some of these *do* look like bugs, but I can't see
> how we can fix them, not least because the first two are user ABI afaict. It
> may also be that in practice we get 2x32-bit stores, and that works out fine
> when storing a 32-bit virtual address. I'm not sure what (if anything) the
> compiler guarantees in these cases.

Perf does indeed have a (known) problem here for the head/tail values.
Last time we looked at that nobody could really come up with a sane
solution that wouldn't break something.

I'll try and dig out that thread. Perhaps casting the value to 'unsigned
long' internally might work, I forgot the details.