READ_ONCE() + STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG == :/ (was Re: [GIT PULL] Please pull powerpc/linux.git powerpc-5.5-2 tag (topic/kasan-bitops))

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Dec 14 09:01:10 AEDT 2019

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 1:33 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:

> A few hundred randconfig (x86, arm32 and arm64) builds later I
> still only found one other instance:

Just send me the pull request to READ_ONCE() and WRITE_ONCE() be
arithmetic types, and your two trivial fixes, and let's get this over
with.

With that, you can remove the 'volatile' with my simple
'typeof(0+*(p))' trick, and we're all good, and we don't need to worry
about compiler versions either.

I'm willing to take that after the merge window as a "sanity fix".

             Linus