Call for report - G5/PPC970 status (was: Re: Found the commit for: 5.3.7 64-bits kernel doesn't boot on G5 Quad [regression])

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Wed Dec 11 18:19:59 AEDT 2019

Le mer. 11 déc. 2019 à 03:20, Aneesh Kumar K.V
<aneesh.kumar at linux.ibm.com> a écrit :
> The PowerMac system we have internally was not able to recreate this.

To narrow down the issue - is that a PCI/PCI-X (7,3 [1]) or PCIe G5 (11,2 [1]) ?
Single, dual or quad ?

Same question to anyone else with a G5 / PPC970 - what is it and does
it boot recent PPC64 Linux kernel ?

Christian from the original report has a quad, like me (so powermac11,2).

There was also a report of a powermac7.3 working in the original discussion,
single or dual unspecified.

So this might be a Quad thing, or a more general 11,2 thing...

> At this point, I am not sure what would cause the Machine check with
> that patch series because we have not changed the VA bits in that patch.

Any test I could run that would help you tracking the bug ?

Cordially,

Romain

[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5#Product_revision_history>

--