[RFC] Efficiency of the phandle_cache on ppc64/SLOF

Rob Herring robh+dt at kernel.org
Wed Dec 4 03:56:35 AEDT 2019

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:28 PM Frank Rowand <frowand.list at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/2/19 10:12 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> > Frank Rowand <frowand.list at gmail.com> writes:

> >> The hash used is based on the assumptions you noted, and as stated in the
> >> code, that phandle property values are in a contiguous range of 1..n
> >> (not starting from zero), which is what dtc generates.
> >
> >> We knew that for systems that do not match the assumptions that the hash
> >> will not be optimal.
> >
> > If we're going to have the phandle cache it should at least make some
> > attempt to work across the systems that Linux supports.
> >
> >> Unless there is a serious performance problem for
> >> such systems, I do not want to make the phandle hash code more complicated
> >> to optimize for these cases.  And the pseries have been performing ok
> >> without phandle related performance issues that I remember hearing since
> >> before the cache was added, which could have only helped the performance.
> >> Yes, if your observations are correct, some memory is being wasted, but
> >> a 64 entry cache is not very large on a pseries.
> >
> > A single line change to use an actual hash function is hardly
> > complicating it, compared to the amount of code already there.
>
> With a dtc generated devicetree, the hash is perfect, with no
> misses.  That single line change then makes the hash bad for
> dtc generated devicetrees.

To quantify that, I did some tests with the hash algo and it's about a
10% collision rate using phandle values of 1-$cache_size. There's
never more than 2 phandles colliding in a slot. The actual impact
would be less given 100% thrashing seems unlikely.

> The cache was added to address a problem with a system with a
> dtc generated devicetree.

The cache was added to address a problem with a system with a large
number of nodes and phandles (814 phandles in the reported case). dtc
happens to be used in that case.

> I had not heard of any phandle
> lookup performance issues on ppc systems.  An imperfect hash
> for ppc should not make the ppc performance worse (unless
> every single phandle value hashes to a single bucket).  So
> the ppc performance is likely better than it was before
> the hash was added, even without an optimal hash algorithm.
>
> So the change would not be a single line change.  It would
> be a change to use different hash algorithms for dtc
> generated device trees versus other device trees.
>
> Another possibility would be to make the cache be dependent
> upon not CONFIG_PPC.  It might be possible to disable the
> cache with a minimal code change.

I'd rather not do that.

And yes, as mentioned earlier I don't like the complexity. I didn't
from the start and I'm  I'm still of the opinion we should have a
fixed or 1 time sized true cache (i.e. smaller than total # of
phandles). That would solve the RT memory allocation and locking issue
too.

For reference, the performance difference between the current
implementation (assuming fixes haven't regressed it) was ~400ms vs. a
~340ms improvement with a 64 entry cache (using a mask, not a hash).
IMO, 340ms improvement was good enough.

Rob