5.2.7 kernel doesn't boot on G5

Mathieu Malaterre malat at debian.org
Mon Aug 26 22:47:30 AEST 2019

Christian,

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 4:52 PM Christian Marillat <marillat at debian.org> wrote:

> On 16 août 2019 16:05, Andreas Schwab <schwab at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 16 2019, Christian Marillat <marillat at debian.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On 15 août 2019 19:50, christophe leroy <christophe.leroy at c-s.fr> wrote:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Built from my G5 with make-kpkg and still doesn't boot :
> >
> > FWIW, 5.2.0 is working fine on my G5 (PowerMac7,3).
>
> Mine is a PowerMac11,2 "Quadcore" and / is on a RAID0
>
> As 4.19.5 boot I don't think is a hardware problem.

Since no wild guess seems to be possible. Can you do a git bisect on
your side. Using a git clone of the linux kernel, I usually do from my
amd64 box:

When doing git bisect I compile from my amd64 machine using:

$ make O=g4 ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-gnu- my_defconfig
$ make -j8 O=g4 ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-gnu- bindeb-pkg
$ scp *image*.deb macminig4:

The bindeb-pkg target is handy to generate a deb package. You may need
to adapt this for your g5.