[RFC 0/4] Virtio uses DMA API for all devices

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Mon Sep 10 16:19:47 AEST 2018

On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 07:09:09PM -0500, Jiandi An wrote:
> For virtio device we have to pass in iommu_platform=true flag for
> this to set the VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM flag. But for example
> QEMU has the use of iommu_platform attribute disabled for virtio-gpu
> device.  So would also like to move towards not having to specify
> the VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM flag.

Specifying VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM is the right thing for your
platform given that you can't directly use physical addresses.
Please fix qemu so that virtio-gpu works with VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM.

Also just as I said for the power folks: you should really work with
the qemu folks that VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM (or whatever we call the
properly documented flag) can be set by default, and no pointless
performance overhead is implied by having a sane and simple
implementation.