ethernet "bus" number in DTS ?

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com
Wed Oct 24 09:15:55 AEDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-10-23 at 13:07 -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> On 10/23/18 1:02 PM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> > > Does not dpaa have a notion of Ethernet ports and those should have
> > > proper information? Maybe that is part of your problem here, it should
> > > have the OF_ALIAS information somehow available.
> >
> > I cannot say ATM, but this lack of standard does not make it easier to rename I/F's in udev.

> > > I don't know, but you could have a simple shell script that looks at
> > > specific network device properties to decide on the naming and call
> > > ifrename.
> >
> > This reinventing of the wheel is what I am trying to avoid.
>
> Embedded is all about being a special snowflake and re-inventing the
> wheel, but having some desktop-like distribution user-space would
> certainly allow you to re-invent other parts of the wheel.

> > > If the Device Tree nodes are ordered by ascending base register address,
> > > my understanding is that you get the same order as far as
> > > platform_device creation goes, this may not be true in the future if Rob
> > > decides to randomize that, but AFAICT this is still true. This may not
> > > work well with status = disabled properties being inserted here and
> > > there, but we have used that here and it has worked for as far as I can
> > > remember doing it.
> >
> > I recall it is the order in which the eth alias appear that controls the naming,
> > not 100% sure though.
>
> Aliases are not looked up at all by the platform bus code other that
> with of_get_alias() and friends, it is the order in which the nodes are
> declared in the Device Tree, preferably ordered by base address that
> dictates the order in which platform devices are created.

I see, thanks.

> > > Second, you might want to name network devices ethX, but what if I want
> > > to name them ethernetX or fooX or barX? Should we be accepting a
> > > mechanism in the kernel that would allow someone to name the interfaces
> > > the way they want straight from a name being provided in Device Tree?
> >
> > I just want to have stable boot names, aka ethX, which can defined in
> > the platforms DT. Then userspace can go from there to whatever it needs,
> > udev could possibly use these stable boot names to identify the I/F's to rename.
> >
> > ATM, it is pretty hard to even use udev when /sys/class/net/eth0/device/uevent
> > can look different even for OF created interfaces.
>
> network devices have a gazillion of other sysfs attributes that all make
> them unique enough to create stable names.

That is kind of my point, there doesn't seem to be any stable source of info
that can be relied on. Each platform/driver is it own, DT/OF created I/F's should
look the same in /sys/class/net/eth0/device/uevent but that is not so.

I am sure I can find something though.

> > > Aliases are fine for providing relative stability within the Device Tree
> > > itself and boot programs that might need to modify the Device Tree (e.g:
> > > inserting MAC addresses) such that you don't have to encode logic to
> > > search for nodes by compatible strings etc. but outside of that use
> > > case, it seems to me that you can resolve every naming decision in
> > > user-space.
> >
> > Well, you can resolve MAC address assignment in user space too but most
> > will agree that is not convenient. I suggest it is also handy to have
> > some control of I/F enumeration(ethX that is) from platform code like DT.
>
> If that is what you desire because you do not want to use user-space to
> do that job, that is probably fine, it's open source after all, an not
> every patch is a candidate for being included upstream. A patch doing
> what you describe would likely be rejected again.
> --

Of course, but I didn't start this thread just to hack my own patch. I wanted
buy in from the community and that is not happening so I will rest now.

Thanks you for taking the time to discuss this,

        Jocke