ethernet "bus" number in DTS ?

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com
Wed Oct 24 07:02:25 AEDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-10-23 at 11:20 -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> On 10/23/18 11:02 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> > > It could, do we want and need to, no. You have the Ethernet alias in
> > > /sys/class/net/*/device/uevent already that would allow you to perform
> > > that (re)naming in user-space:
> > >
> > > # cat /sys/class/net/eth0/device/uevent
> > > DRIVER=bcmgenet
> > > OF_NAME=ethernet
> > > OF_FULLNAME=/rdb/ethernet at f0480000
> > > OF_TYPE=network
> > > OF_COMPATIBLE_0=brcm,genet-v5
> > > OF_COMPATIBLE_N=1
> > > OF_ALIAS_0=eth0                 <==================
> > > MODALIAS=of:NethernetTnetworkCbrcm,genet-v5
> >
> > Yes, one can if one uses udev and can find something to identify the hw I/F with, my
> > cat /sys/class/net/eth0/device/uevent looks like:
> > DRIVER=fsl_dpa
> > MODALIAS=platform:dpaa-ethernet
>
> Does not dpaa have a notion of Ethernet ports and those should have
> proper information? Maybe that is part of your problem here, it should
> have the OF_ALIAS information somehow available.

I cannot say ATM, but this lack of standard does not make it easier to rename I/F's in udev.

> > not sure mdev supports this, does it?
> > Our simple installer FS(initramfs) doesn't have either udev or mdev.
>
> I don't know, but you could have a simple shell script that looks at
> specific network device properties to decide on the naming and call
> ifrename.

This reinventing of the wheel is what I am trying to avoid.

> > I also noted that using status = "disabled" didn't work either to create a fix name scheme.
> > Even worse, all the eth I/F after gets renumbered. It seems to me there
> > is value in having stability in eth I/F naming at boot.
> > Then userspace(udev) can rename if need be.
> >
> > Sure would like to known more about why this feature is not wanted ?
> >
> > I found
> >   https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/4122441/
> > You quote policy as reason but surely it must be better to
> > have something stable, connected to the hardware name, than semirandom naming?
>
> If the Device Tree nodes are ordered by ascending base register address,
> my understanding is that you get the same order as far as
> platform_device creation goes, this may not be true in the future if Rob
> decides to randomize that, but AFAICT this is still true. This may not
> work well with status = disabled properties being inserted here and
> there, but we have used that here and it has worked for as far as I can
> remember doing it.

I recall it is the order in which the eth alias appear that controls the naming,
not 100% sure though.

> Second, you might want to name network devices ethX, but what if I want
> to name them ethernetX or fooX or barX? Should we be accepting a
> mechanism in the kernel that would allow someone to name the interfaces
> the way they want straight from a name being provided in Device Tree?

I just want to have stable boot names, aka ethX, which can defined in
the platforms DT. Then userspace can go from there to whatever it needs,
udev could possibly use these stable boot names to identify the I/F's to rename.

ATM, it is pretty hard to even use udev when /sys/class/net/eth0/device/uevent
can look different even for OF created interfaces.

> Aliases are fine for providing relative stability within the Device Tree
> itself and boot programs that might need to modify the Device Tree (e.g:
> inserting MAC addresses) such that you don't have to encode logic to
> search for nodes by compatible strings etc. but outside of that use
> case, it seems to me that you can resolve every naming decision in
> user-space.

Well, you can resolve MAC address assignment in user space too but most
will agree that is not convenient. I suggest it is also handy to have
some control of I/F enumeration(ethX that is) from platform code like DT.

 Jocke