RFC on writel and writel_relaxed

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Mar 29 08:31:32 AEDT 2018

On Thu, 2018-03-29 at 02:23 +1000, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 11:55:09 -0400 (EDT)
> David Miller <davem at davemloft.net> wrote:
>
> > From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>
> > Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 02:13:16 +1100
> >
> > > Let's fix all archs, it's way easier than fixing all drivers. Half of
> > > the archs are unused or dead anyway.
> >
> > Agreed.
>
> While we're making decrees here, can we do something about mmiowb?
> The semantics are basically indecipherable.

I was going to tackle that next :-)

>   This is a variation on the mandatory write barrier that causes writes to weakly
>   ordered I/O regions to be partially ordered.  Its effects may go beyond the
>   CPU->Hardware interface and actually affect the hardware at some level.
>
> How can a driver writer possibly get that right?
>
> IIRC it was added for some big ia64 system that was really expensive
> to implement the proper wmb() semantics on. So wmb() semantics were
> quietly downgraded, then the subsequently broken drivers they cared
> about were fixed by adding the stronger mmiowb().
>
> What should have happened was wmb and writel remained correct, sane, and
> expensive, and they add an mmio_wmb() to order MMIO stores made by the
> writel_relaxed accessors, then use that to speed up the few drivers they
> care about.
>
> Now that ia64 doesn't matter too much, can we deprecate mmiowb and just
> make wmb ordering talk about stores to the device, not to some
> intermediate stage of the interconnect where it can be subsequently
> reordered wrt the device? Drivers can be converted back to using wmb
> or writel gradually.

I was under the impression that mmiowb was specifically about ordering
writel's with a subsequent spin_unlock, without it, MMIOs from
different CPUs (within the same lock) would still arrive OO.

If that's indeed the case, I would suggest ia64 switches to a similar
per-cpu flag trick powerpc uses.

Cheers,
Ben.