RFC on writel and writel_relaxed

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 28 15:41:45 AEDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 23:24 -0400, Sinan Kaya wrote:
> On 3/27/2018 10:51 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > The discussion at hand is about
> > >
> > >         dma_buffer->foo = 1;                    /* WB */
> > >         writel(KICK, DMA_KICK_REGISTER);        /* UC */
> >
> > Yes. That certainly is ordered on x86. In fact, afaik it's ordered
> > even if that writel() might be of type WC, because that only delays
> > writes, it doesn't move them earlier.
>
> Now that we clarified x86 myth, Is this guaranteed on all architectures?

If not we need to fix it. It's guaranteed on the "main" ones (arm,
arm64, powerpc, i386, x86_64). We might need to check with other arch
maintainers for the rest.

We really want Linux to provide well defined "sane" semantics for the
basic writel accessors.

Note: We still have open questions about how readl() relates to
surrounding memory accesses. It looks like ARM and powerpc do different
things here.

> We keep getting IA64 exception example. Maybe, this is also corrected since
> then.

I would think ia64 fixed it back when it was all discussed. I was under
the impression all ia64 had "special" was the writel vs. spin_unlock
which requires mmiowb, but maybe that was never completely fixed ?

> Jose Abreu says "I don't know about x86 but arc architecture doesn't
> have a wmb() in the writel() function (in some configs)".

Well, it probably should then.

> As long as we have these exceptions, these wmb() in common drivers is not
> going anywhere and relaxed-arches will continue paying performance penalty.

Well, let's fix them or leave them broken, at this point, it doesn't
matter. We can give all arch maintainers a wakeup call and start making
drivers work based on the documented assumptions.

> I see 15% performance loss on ARM64 servers using Intel i40e network
> drivers and an XL710 adapter due to CPU keeping itself busy doing barriers
> most of the time rather than real work because of sequences like this all over
> the place.
>
>          dma_buffer->foo = 1;                    /* WB */
> 	 wmb()
>          writel(KICK, DMA_KICK_REGISTER);        /* UC */
>
> I posted several patches last week to remove duplicate barriers on ARM while
> trying to make the code friendly with other architectures.
>
> Basically changing it to
>
> dma_buffer->foo = 1;                    /* WB */
> wmb()
> writel_relaxed(KICK, DMA_KICK_REGISTER);        /* UC */
> mmiowb()
>
> This is a small step in the performance direction until we remove all exceptions.
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg491842.html
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg62434.html
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg642336.html
>
> Discussion started to move around the need for relaxed API on PPC and then
> why wmb() question came up.

I'm working on the problem of relaxed APIs for powerpc, but we can keep
that orthogonal. As is, today, a wmb() + writel() and a wmb() +
writel_relaxed() on powerpc are identical. So changing them will not
break us.

But I don't see the point of doing that transformation if we can just
get the straying archs fixed. It's not like any of them has a
significant market presence these days anyway.

Cheers,
Ben.