RFC on writel and writel_relaxed

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Mar 27 19:56:59 AEDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 09:56 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 12:27 AM, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg at ziepe.ca> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 09:01:57AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2018-03-26 at 17:46 -0400, Sinan Kaya wrote:
> >
> > I even see patches adding wmb() based on actual observed memory
> > corruption during testing on Intel:
> >
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10177207/
> >
> > So you think all of this is unnecessary and writel is totally strongly
> > ordered, even on multi-socket Intel?
>
> This example adds a wmb() between two writes to a coherent DMA
> area, it is definitely required there.

Ah you are right, I incorrectly assumed that the "prod_db" function was
an MMIO. So we do NOT have a counter example where wmb is needed on
x86, pfiew ! :-)

> I'm pretty sure I've never seen
> any bug reports pointing to a missing wmb() between memory
> and MMIO write accesses, but if you remember seeing them in the
> list, maybe you can look again for some evidence of something going
> wrong on x86 without it?

The interesting thing is that we do seem to have a whole LOT of these
spurrious wmb before writel all over the tree, I suspect because of
that incorrect recommendation in memory-barriers.txt.

We should fix that.

Cheers,
Ben.