RFC on writel and writel_relaxed

Jason Gunthorpe jgg at ziepe.ca
Tue Mar 27 12:39:18 AEDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 10:59:40AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-03-26 at 16:50 -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > > Yes, because they all copied e1000e :-) If you look at the comment in
> > > there, it does say it's only for weakly ordered archs such as ia64, and
> > > even then, probably predates Linus strong statement on the matter.
> >
> > Hahah, sure I'll buy that..
> >
> > But still, if this really is the case, a *strong* statement in
> > barriers.txt to that effect (and not an example demanding the wmb()!)
> > would be very helpful for those of us that have to review driver code!
>
> I agree, and that Mellanox bug you pointed me to seems to indicate that
> this may not even be true on x86 anymore ...

However, with bugs like that it is hard to know what is going on.. It
could be a CPU bug instead.

> I think we might need to revisit this properly...

I would love to hear a definitive statement from Intel on what wmb();
writel(); does on x86..

Sinan's patches are backwards if writel is ordered, instead of
using writel_relaxed, they should be eliminating the wmb().

But there is no way patches like that could go ahead until
barriers.txt is updated..

Jason