RFC on writel and writel_relaxed

Jason Gunthorpe jgg at ziepe.ca
Tue Mar 27 07:25:45 AEDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 09:44:15PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> >> Perhaps there ought to be writel_nobarrier() (etc) that never contain
> >> any barriers at all.
> >> This might mean that they are always just the memory operation,
> >> but it would make it more obvious what the driver was doing.
> >
> > I think that is what writel_relaxed is supposed to be.
> >
> > The only restriction it has is that the writes to a single device
> > using UC memory must be kept in program order..
>
> Not sure about whether we have ever defined what happens to
> writel_relaxed() on WC memory though: On ARM, we disallow
> the compiler to combine writes, but the CPU still might.

If the driver uses WC memory then I think it should not expect
anything in terms of how writes map to TLPs other than nothing
combines across mmiowb() and mmiowb() is fully globally ordered when
enclosed in a spinlock.

The entire point of using WC memory is usually to get combining :) If
the driver doesn't want that then it should map UC..

> It's also not entirely clear to me what we want writel() inside a
> spinlock to mean: should the spinlock guarantee that two writel()
> calls on different CPUs that are protected by spinlocks are
> serialized by those locks, or not?

Yes for writel, I think that is already defined by the barriers
document

The same document says that _relaxed() does not give that guarentee.

The lwn articule on this went into some depth on the interaction with
spinlocks.

As far as I can see, containment in a spinlock seems to be the only
different between writel and writel_relaxed..

Jason