RFC on writel and writel_relaxed

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Mar 24 12:22:50 AEDT 2018

On Fri, 2018-03-23 at 09:42 -0400, Sinan Kaya wrote:
> On 3/22/2018 8:16 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > > Surprisingly, ARM64 GCC compiler generates a write barrier as
> > > opposed to preventing code reordering.
> > >
> > > I was curious if this is an ARM only thing or not.
> >
> > Are you sure of that ? I thought it's the ARM implementation of writel
> > that had an explicit write barrier in it:
>
> Yes, I'm %100 sure. The answer is both writel() and barrier() generates
> a write barrier instruction. I found this by searching the kernel disassembly
> for back to back "dsb st" instruction.

I'm not sure you are correct here. As I wrote below, the implementatoin
of writel() contains an *explicit" memory barrier which is completely
different to a barrier() instruction:

> > #define writel(v,c)		({ __iowmb(); writel_relaxed((v),(c)); })
> >
> > And __iowmb() is
> >
> > #define __iowmb()		wmb()
> >
> > Note, I'm a bit dubious about this in ARM:
> >
> > #define readl(c)		({ u32 __v = readl_relaxed(c); __iormb(); __v; }
> >
> > Will, Marc, on powerpc, we put a sync *before* the read in readl etc...
> >
> > The reasoning was there could be some DMA setup followed by a side
> > effect readl rather than a side effect writel to trigger a DMA. Granted
> > I wouldn't expect modern devices to be that stupid, but I have vague
> > memory of some devices back in the day having that sort of read ops.
> >
> > In general, I though the model offerred by x86 and thus by Linux
> > readl/writel was full synchronization both before and after the MMIO,
> > vs either other MMIO or all other forms of ops (cachable memory, locks
> > etc...).
> >
> > Also, can't the above readl_relaxed leak out of a lock ?
>
> I think you are asking about PPC, correct?

No, I'm asking about ARM.

> I read somewhere that PPC implementation keeps track of MMIO accesses and
> has an implicit barrier inside the spin_unlock() code for such accesses.
> Isn't this true?

Yes, I wrote that code :-) We keep track of writes and put an implicit
stronger barrier in unlock on ppc64 because drivers never get mmiowb
right.

Cheers,
Ben.