RFC on writel and writel_relaxed

Sinan Kaya okaya at codeaurora.org
Wed Mar 21 14:07:06 AEDT 2018

Hi PPC Maintainers,

We are seeking feedback on the status of relaxed write API implementation.
What is the motivation for not implementing the relaxed API?

I see that network drivers are working around the issue by calling
__raw_write() API directly but this also breaks other architectures
like SPARC since the semantics of __raw_writel() seems to be system dependent.

This is putting drivers into a tight position and they cannot achieve true
multi-arch enablement and are forced into calling __raw APIs flavors
directly with #ifdef BIG_ENDIAN ugliness.

Sinan

--
Sinan Kaya
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc. as an affiliate of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.