Regression in 4.18 - 32-bit PowerPC crashes on boot - bisected to commit 1d40a5ea01d5

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Thu Jun 28 15:05:07 AEST 2018

My PowerBook G4 Aluminum crashes on boot with 4.18-rcX kernels with a kernel BUG
at include/linux/page-flags.h:700! The problem was bisected to commit
1d40a5ea01d5 ("mm: mark pages in use for page tables"). It is not possible to
capture the bug with anything other than a camera. The first few lines of the
traceback are as follows:

free_pgd_range+0x19c/0x30c (unreliable)
free_pgtables_0xa0/0xb0
exit_pmap+0xf4/0x16c
mmput+0x64/0xf0
do_exit+0x33c/0x89c
oops_end+0x13c/0x144
_exception_pkey+0x58/0x128
ret_from_except_full+0x0/0x4
--- interrupt: 700 at free_pgd_range+0x19c/0x30c
     LR = free_pgd_range+0x19c/0x30c
free_pgtables+0xa/0xb
exit_mnap+0xf4/0x16c
mmput+0x64/0xf0
flush_old_exec+0x490/0x550

I have a PDF of the complete dump, but I hesitate to send this to the entire group.

Thanks,

Larry