[RFC V2] virtio: Add platform specific DMA API translation for virito devices

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 13:28:19 AEST 2018

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 07:39:09PM -0700, Ram Pai wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 07:28:35PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > >
> > > So, I spent some time looking at converting virtio to dma ops overrides,
> > > and the current virtio spec, and the sad through I have to tell is that
> > > both the spec and the Linux implementation are complete and utterly fucked
> > > up.
> >
> > Let me restate it: DMA API has support for a wide range of hardware, and
> > hardware based virtio implementations likely won't benefit from all of
> > it.
> >
> > And given virtio right now is optimized for specific workloads, improving
> > portability without regressing performance isn't easy.
> >
> > I think it's unsurprising since it started a strictly a guest/host
> > mechanism.  People did implement offloads on specific platforms though,
> > and they are known to work. To improve portability even further,
> > we might need to make spec and code changes.
> >
> > I'm not really sympathetic to people complaining that they can't even
> > set a flag in qemu though. If that's the case the stack in question is
> > way too inflexible.
>
> We did consider your suggestion. But can't see how it will work.
> Maybe you can guide us here.
>
> In our case qemu has absolutely no idea if the VM will switch itself to
> secure mode or not.  Its a dynamic decision made entirely by the VM
> through direct interaction with the hardware/firmware; no
> qemu/hypervisor involved.
>
> If the administrator, who invokes qemu, enables the flag, the DMA ops
> associated with the virito devices will be called, and hence will be
> able to do the right things. Yes we might incur performance hit due to
> the IOMMU translations, but lets ignore that for now; the functionality
> will work. Good till now.
>
> However if the administrator
> ignores/forgets/deliberatey-decides/is-constrained to NOT enable the
> flag, virtio will not be able to pass control to the DMA ops associated
> with the virtio devices. Which means, we have no opportunity to share
> the I/O buffers with the hypervisor/qemu.
>
> How do you suggest, we handle this case?

As step 1, ignore it as a user error.
Further you can for example add per-device quirks in virtio so it can be
switched to dma api. make extra decisions in platform code then.

> > > Both in the flag naming and the implementation there is an implication
> > > of DMA API == IOMMU, which is fundamentally wrong.
> >
> > Maybe we need to extend the meaning of PLATFORM_IOMMU or rename it.
> >
> > It's possible that some setups will benefit from a more
> > fine-grained approach where some aspects of the DMA
> > API are bypassed, others aren't.
> >
> > This seems to be what was being asked for in this thread,
> > with comments claiming IOMMU flag adds too much overhead.
> >

> > > The DMA API does a few different things:
> > >
> > >  a) address translation
> > >
> > > 	This does include IOMMUs.  But it also includes random offsets
> > > 	between PCI bars and system memory that we see on various
> > > 	platforms.
> >
> > I don't think you mean bars. That's unrelated to DMA.
> >
> > >  Worse so some of these offsets might be based on
> > > 	banks, e.g. on the broadcom bmips platform.  It also deals
> > > 	with bitmask in physical addresses related to memory encryption
> > > 	like AMD SEV.  I'd be really curious how for example the
> > > 	Intel virtio based NIC is going to work on any of those
> > > 	plaforms.
> >
> > SEV guys report that they just set the iommu flag and then it all works.
>
> This is one of the fundamental difference between SEV architecture and
> the ultravisor architecture. In SEV, qemu is aware of SEV.  In
> ultravisor architecture, only the VM that runs within qemu is aware of
> ultravisor;  hypervisor/qemu/administrator are untrusted entities.

Spo one option is to teach qemu that it's on a platform with an
ultravisor, this might have more advantages.

> I hope, we can make virtio subsystem flexibe enough to support various
> security paradigms.

So if you are worried about qemu attacking guests, I see
more problems than just passing an incorrect iommu
flag.

> Apart from the above reason, Christoph and Ben point to so many other
> reasons to make it flexibe. So why not, make it happen?

I don't see a flexibility argument.  I just don't think new platforms
should use workarounds that we put in place for old ones.