pkeys on POWER: Access rights not reset on execve

Michal Suchánek msuchanek at suse.de
Sat Jun 9 00:17:24 AEST 2018

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 15:51:03 +0200
Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/08/2018 03:49 PM, Michal Suchánek wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 14:57:06 +0200
> > Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> No, that part is still per-process.
> >
> > So as said above it does not make sense to make keys per-thread.
>
> The keys are still global, but the access rights are per-thread and
> have to be for reliability reasons.

Oh, right. The association of keys to memory is independent of key
allocation. However, to change the key permissions or the memory
association to a key you need to allocate it. And key allocation is
propagated lazily between threads so you do not have to stop the world
to allocate a key. So if default key permissions of an unallocated
key allow access then allocating a key and associating it with memory
makes that memory accessible to threads that are not yet aware of the
fact the key has been allocated which is not desirable.

Sounds sensible.

Thanks

Michal