[RFC V2] virtio: Add platform specific DMA API translation for virito devices

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Jun 4 18:57:42 AEST 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 08:27:04AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-05-23 at 21:50 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>
> > I re-read that discussion and I'm still unclear on the
> > original question, since I got several apparently
> > conflicting answers.
> >
> > I asked:
> >
> > 	Why isn't setting VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM on the
> > 	hypervisor side sufficient?
>
> I thought I had replied to this...
>
> There are a couple of reasons:
>
> - First qemu doesn't know that the guest will switch to "secure mode"
> in advance. There is no difference between a normal and a secure
> partition until the partition does the magic UV call to "enter secure
> mode" and qemu doesn't see any of it. So who can set the flag here ?

This seems weird to me.  As a rule HV calls should go through qemu -
or be allowed to go directly to KVM *by* qemu.  We generally reserve
the latter for hot path things.  Since this isn't a hot path, having
the call handled directly by the kernel seems wrong.

Unless a "UV call" is something different I don't know about.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson