[RFC 0/4] Virtio uses DMA API for all devices

Anshuman Khandual khandual at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Jul 28 18:37:20 AEST 2018

On 07/27/2018 05:01 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 08:56:23AM +0530, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
>> Results with and without the patches are similar.
>
> Thanks! And another thing to try is virtio-net with
> a fast NIC backend (40G and up). Unfortunately
> at this point loopback tests stress the host
> scheduler too much.

Sure. Will look around for a 40G NIC system. BTW I have been testing
virtio-net with a TAP device as back end.

ip tuntap add dev tap0 mode tap user $(whoami)
ip link set tap0 master virbr0
ip link set dev virbr0 up
ip link set dev tap0 up

which is exported into the guest as follows

-device virtio-net,netdev=network0,mac=52:55:00:d1:55:01 \
-netdev tap,id=network0,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no \

But I have not run any network benchmarks on it though.