TP Link WDR4900 (was NXP p1010se device trees only correct for P1010E/P1014E, not P1010/P1014 SoCs).

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 00:32:32 AEST 2018

On 09/07/18 23:21, Scott Wood wrote:

>> Thanks for your email.  The device in question ships an old uboot (a
>> vendor fork of U-Boot 2010.12-svn15934).
>
> This was added by commit 6b70ffb9d1b2e, committed in July 2008... maybe
> there's a problem with the old U-Boot finding the crypto node on this
> particular chip?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your response and the pointers...  I don't know my way around
this code at all (I just got here when I hit a user space bug when
trying to use 802.1AE), so I'm in the dark a bit here.

The device doesn't have mainline support, there is the original vendor
patched uboot and kernel (linux 2.6.35 based) released here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WDR4900.html#GPL-Code

The the vendor u-boot serial output identifies the board as a P1014RDB
in its serial output, so I'd guess that TP-Link just made minimal
changes from the NXP reference design.

The OpenWRT distro package, which has its own reasonably simple set of
kernel patches (it's currently using 4.9.x on this platform) at:

https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git

in:

target/linux/mpc85xx/files/arch/powerpc/platforms/85xx

It produces a cuImage for this board, but I don't know why that decision
was made, maybe it's just what the vendor kernel did, or maybe it's
difficult to differentiate a TL-WDR4900 from a P1010RDB reference board.
  I couldn't find the P1010RDB BSP to see what TP-Link has done.

I could potentially work on getting those upstream if you think that
would be worthwhile, but I don't really have a good feel for how good or
hacky the code that's in OpenWRT is at the moment.  I'd probably need
help getting it up and running.

I presume it'd mean switching from a cuImage to a uImage if practical?

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.